Spring has arrived! And we are thrilled for warmer weather but with higher temperatures comes spring flooding and the chance of developing mold. To prevent an unwanted mold surprise, keep reading to learn how to protect your home and family.
After being cooped up all winter we can finally open the windows! Thank goodness because the key to mold control is moisture control and ventilation.
Molds can grow on almost any surface. Common mold problems are found on walls and carpet. Mold growth occurs when moisture accumulates in materials. Mold repair can be costly if the moisture problem is not address immediately. Also people sensitive to mold may experience allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory issues.
Two Causes of Mold Growth
We see two common reasons mold grows.
- Humidifiers that are left running too long. Keep your home between 30-50 percent humidity.
- Poor drainage in landscaping and gutters. This can cause water to flow toward the house instead of away. Water builds up next to the house and forms a wet, inviting place for mold to grow.
10 Ways to Prevent Mold
Here are some tips from the EPA and INTEK:
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly to avoid leaks. Be sure gutters point water away from your home.
- Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems immediately! In many cases if wet or damp materials are dried with in24 to 48 hours mold will not grow.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes dry the wet surface and fix the source of moisture.
- Scrub any visible mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water and dry the area completely.
- Keep indoor humidity low. It is suggested that indoor humidity remains between 30-50 percent.
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and dish washers
- Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering.
- Check for landscaping that has settled and is causing a slope toward your home. That slope may cause water to run toward the house instead of away.
- When you can, increase air circulation by opening doors and/or windows.
If you need help with mold remediation or would like a free mold inspection, contact INTEK.
We hope you don’t need to call us for mold removal but if you do, INTEK is available 24/7. We use the standard EPA removal system for containing, removing and testing mold.
- Free inspection
- Free estimates
- Year-round service
Learn more about INTEK’s mold removal services