There’s a reason puppies are so cute.
If they weren’t, we might go crazy trying to clean up after them.
If you’re just starting to potty train your puppy — or if you’re trying to retrain an older dog (hey, we don’t judge!) — you might be dealing with some unpleasant accidents on your carpet in Sioux Falls.
Below, we’ll teach you how to clean dog urine from your carpet, plus offer a few tips on preventing puppy accidents in the first place.
How to Remove Pet Urine from Your Carpet
- Soak up the urine by placing paper towels, newspaper, or (if you’re feeling eco-friendly) old rags or towels on the spot.
- Stand on this padding for about a minute, moving your feet around to absorb all areas of wetness. (Make sure you’re wearing shoes with thick rubber soles!)
- Saturate the stain using a 1:1 solution of white vinegar and warm water. Use a scrubbing brush to work this mixture deeply into the carpet.
- After about five minutes of soaking, blot the solution as you did during step #2.
- Once the area is dry, shake some baking soda over the stain.
- Mix a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of dish detergent, and gently apply and scrub the solution into the stain. (Test an inconspicuous area of your carpet first to be sure the peroxide won’t discolor your fabric.)
- Once the area is dry, slowly vacuum the spot to catch all the leftovers . . . and voilà! Your carpet should now be clean.
Disclaimer on Removing Pet Smells from Carpet
While you can do your darnedest to remove pet stains from your carpet, the truth is that it’s nearly impossible to eliminate pet odors completely.
That’s because the urine almost always seeps through to the carpet padding or wood flooring below, where it’s extremely difficult to access and clean.
There are a few things you can do, like following these tips for preventing and removing pet smells in your carpet.
You can also learn our top nine ways to keep your pet-friendly home clean. A few of them might be new to you!
However, the best way to rid your carpet of pet stains is to hire a professional cleaning company. According to the Local Best, INTEK provides the best carpet cleaning Sioux Falls and Yankton have to offer.
Don’t just take our word for it, though. Call today to set up an appointment!
Love Pets? Support the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society!
If you’re reading this post, you probably either own a pet or are about to get one. If the latter, why not adopt one from the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society (SFAHS)?
SFAHS is a fantastic organization dedicated to providing a home for animals in need. Along with pups, they’ve got cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, and more — all waiting to be adopted.
If you’re not ready for that kind of commitment, you can still support SFAHS by donating, volunteering, or — our favorite — buying a cool T-shirt, sweatshirt, or tote. Each item provides two days’ worth of meals for seven animals in the Sioux Falls animal shelter.
“Rescue is my favorite breed,” this merchandise proudly proclaims. Do you agree?