lit christmas tree in a home

Things that are fun: 

🎄Hanging up twinkling lights with your family

🎄Lighting holiday-scented candles as you enjoy hot cocoa

🎄Breathing in the fresh smell of a real pine tree

Things that are not fun: 

🔥 Calling 911 because your house is on fire

🔥 Losing your most valuable possessions 

🔥 Ruining holiday memories forever

This may sound dramatic, but fire safety during the holidays is very serious business. Did you know that the top three days for home candle fires are Christmas Day, New Years Day, and New Years Eve? (US Fire Administration)

It’s so fun to deck the halls during the holiday season, and we want you to stay safe! Here are some tips for avoiding home fires amidst the festivities.

Keep Your Tree Away From a Heat Source

Many holiday decoration fires occur because decorations are placed too close to heat sources. Keep your tree at least three feet away from heating elements, such as space heaters or radiators, and make sure it doesn’t block an exist.

Water Your Tree Regularly

A dry pine is more likely to be consumed by a blaze. Cut your tree at a 45 degree angle and keep the base in water, being sure to refill it regularly. 

As soon as the holiday is over and the tree is starting to die, get rid of it. 

Be Smart With Lights

When you’re hanging lights, inspect them for frayed or pinched wires. Don’t use lights that aren’t in good condition, as this can cause a spark. 

Don’t leave lights unattended. This is something that many people overlook. Make it a habit to unplug your lights before going to bed and leaving the house. 

Choose Safety with Candles

You likely have extra candles out and about during this time of year. Keep them at least 12 inches away from anything flammable to avoid starting a fire.

Another option is to consider using battery-operated candles. These will give you some peace of mind as they look lovely and are far safer than real candles. If you do opt for real candles, confirm that they are in a stable holder and can’t easily be knocked by kids or pets.

Let Us Know If You Need Us

We certainly hope that you don’t have any run-ins with fire this holiday season. But, if you do, Intek is here to help in the Sioux Falls and Yankton area. We are experienced in both residential and commercial fire damage restoration and cleaning. Our professionally trained staff is experienced in restoring your property after it has been damaged by fire or smoke.

But hopefully, you won’t need to call us. Stay festive and safe, instead!

Learn More About Our Fire Restoration Services