While dogs may be man’s best friend, they can be your HVAC system’s worst enemy.
It’s no secret furry pets leave a trail of fur-fetti wherever they go. You see it on your clothing, your furniture and your floors. But where else is it hiding?
Even with regular grooming and house cleaning, pet hair and dander has a way of building up in places we don’t even think about. In the past few years, hypoallergenic dog breeds have become popular due to their non-shedding quality. However, your ductwork is still at risk for clogging from their microscopic dander.
Creating Cleaner Air in Your Home with Pets
To keep your home and family healthy, we suggest these tips to keep pet hair and dander at bay.
- Groom Your Pets: In addition to professional grooming every six to eight weeks, brushing your pet at least two times a week will greatly decrease the amount of pet hair and dander left behind in your home.
- Vacuum Your Duct Covers: Duct covers are a magnet for pet hair due to static electricity and air movement. Take time to vacuum the flooring around and the face of your duct covers to reduce the amount of pet hair entering your HVAC system.
- Change Your Furnace Filter: Your furnace filter is the first line of defense for filtering the air that re-enters your home. Replace your filter at least every 3 months to prevent build up.
- Install an Air Purifier: An air purifier is an effective way to clean the invisible dander particles circulating in your home. It can also help catch dander that has made its way through the HVAC system.
- Have Your Ducts Professionally Cleaned: While being proactive with the steps above will certainly help decrease the amount of pet dander and hair entering your HVAC system, it isn’t 100% fool proof. Hire a professional to clean your ducts every five to seven years.
Stress Free Experience with Intek
Between pets, work and your family, life is busy. And duct cleaning is usually the last thing on your mind.
Let the professionals at Intek help you keep your home healthy and efficient with regular duct cleaning. We offer a complimentary video inspection prior to cleaning to let you decide if your ducts actually need to be cleaned. Plus, the entire experience is hands-off for you!