Getting ready for graduation? If you have an upcoming commencement, it’s time to start preparing your heart–and home–for the party. We’ve put together an open house cleaning checklist to help ensure your beautiful home will impress all your guests.
Lawn and Porch
As the first glimpse your guests will have of your home, the lawn and porch should be welcoming and bright. Make a great first impression by following these tips:
- Mow and water lawn
- Plant or water flowers
- Manicure landscaping
- Sweep porch and pathway
- Wash or repaint doors, thresholds, and siding
- Wipe windows
- Clean or replace welcome mat
- Decorate with welcome signs, balloons, streamers, etc.
Once your guests step through the front door, the first thing they’ll see is your foyer. Keep it clean and well lit:
- Dust furniture and lighting fixtures
- Replace lightbulbs
- Sweep and scrub floors
- Empty coat closet or put out coat rack
- Clean or replace entry mat
- Clear bench or table for gifts and cards
- Decorate with photos, balloons, streamers, etc.
Kitchen and Dining Room
Upon arriving, your guests will probably head straight to the kitchen or dining room for some grub. Here’s how to maintain order in those sure-to-get-messy areas:
- Dust furniture and light fixtures
- Wipe down sink, countertops, appliances, and tables
- Mop floor
- Clean out refrigerator, freezer, and dishwasher
- Hang dish and hand towels
- Open windows (weather permitted)
- Find designated areas for food and drinks
- Keep cups, napkins, and silverware well stocked
- Place several large garbage cans in accessible areas
- Decorate with cake, balloons, streamers, etc.
As the most comfortable room in the house, your living room is sure to be the primary hang-out for minglers. Since they’ll be spending the most time there, make sure your living room is spic and span:
- Deep-clean carpets and upholstery
- Launder and prop pillows
- Dust shelves, furniture, and decor
- Replace lightbulbs
- Wash windows and window screens
- Provide plenty of seating options
- Put out at least one garbage can
- Decorate with banners, balloons, streamers, etc.
Though trips to the bathroom only take a minute or two, your guests will still notice a dirty bathroom. Be sure it’s spotless:
- Scrub shower, tub, and toilet
- Bleach toilet bowl
- Wipe sink, counter, and mirror
- Clean or replace bath mats
- Sweep and mop floors
Tidy cabinet and drawers
- Empty wastebasket
- Supply fresh towels
- Use air freshener or incense
With those house cleaning to dos checked off your list, you’re sure to have an open house that wows.
But for the things you can’t do yourself, call INTEK Cleaning. We can help you with general cleaning, upholstery cleaning, and–perhaps most importantly–carpet cleaning. Trust us, with all the people passing through your home, you’ll want to make sure your carpets are fluffy and stain-free. With our special hot water extraction process and safe, biodegradable products, we can make your carpet look just like new.
So give us a call. We’ll make graduation easy, so you can focus on celebrating that special grad.