With a shiny, attractive finish and a surface that can be easily cleaned, tile is a great flooring solution. However, if not properly maintained, your freshly installed tile floor can quickly lose its “brand new” appearance.
Compared to other types of flooring, tile can be relatively low-maintenance to keep up. The most common tile flooring types, ceramic and porcelain, are easily maintained.
Marble, slate, or granite tile floors can be cleaned with nearly the same routine, but with a few exceptions. A softer brush should be utilized to avoid scratching and a non-acidic solution should be used to avoid discoloring.
Keep your tile shiny by following this cleaning routine.
- Sweep or vacuum your tile. Tiles will resist dirt but can become dull if debris is ground into the grout. Use a vacuum with a “floors” setting or a broom. Frequency: Every other day
- Clean with a rag or chamois-type mop. Use mild detergent and clean water. Don’t use a sponge mop, which will drive debris and dirty water down into the grout, making it more difficult to clean. Frequency: Weekly
- Remove Residue. If your tiles are hazy, a soapy residue may be the culprit. To remove it, use a non-abrasive all-purpose cleaner. Rinse with clean water and buff dry with a lint-free cloth. Frequency: Remove residue when you notice a hazy buildup
- Keep Grout Clean. Grout is porous and absorbs grease and grime. Keeping it clean is the secret to keeping your tiles looking fresh. Mix a paste of baking soda and water, apply it to grout, and let it sit overnight. Use a stiff nylon brush to remove the paste. Repeat as necessary. To prevent future stains, apply a silicone-base sealer. Frequency: Every two weeks (or whenever you notice grout buildup)
Remember to change water often while mopping. Dirty water will produce a dirty floor.
These tips are especially helpful for bathroom tile, which can attract more dirt and grime than less-trafficked areas.
Hire the Pros
At-home cleaning may not make your tile appear as good as new — especially if the tile has not been cleaned for a long time. For that professional, new tile look, hire Intek.
Intek offers tile floor cleaning services and follows a strict, step-by-step process.
Our professionally trained technicians will:
- Carefully inspect your floor to look for loose tile
- Prep the work area to ensure excess cleaner doesn’t drip onto your baseboard or walls
- Apply special cleaning solution to tile and grout
- Agitate the surface to ensure a deep down clean
- Use a complete hot water extraction process to draw remove contaminants from your floor
Intek will provide a deep down clean. Contact us now to schedule a tile floor cleaning appointment ahead of the holidays to get your house in shipshape for your guests.