When we think of summer, we think of sun. But often that beautiful warm weather brings rain and even flooding as well, which is not good news for a homeowner like you.
This summer, avoid flooding and water damage to your home by following these tips.
Safeguard Your Stuff
- Review your homeowners insurance policy. Damage due to flooding generally isn’t covered, so if you might need to call your insurance agent to purchase it separately.
- Take pictures of your possessions. In order to provide proof of ownership for insurance purposes, you’ll want to document everything you own (or at least everything you’d care to claim in case of a flood).
- Store valuables in a safe location. Place extra-special items and documents in a weather-safe container, and move them to high ground.
Ready Your Home
- Ensure your sump pump is working. Also consider installing a battery-operated backup and/or a water alarm for extra precaution.
- Raise your electrical components and appliances. Keep your electrical elements, furnace, water heater, washer, and dryer at least a foot above your home’s projected flood elevation.
- De-clog your gutters. Clear gutters of all leaves and other debris, and make sure downspouts are directing water down and away from the foundation of your home. Check to see that both your gutters and downspouts are properly attached and in good condition so they don’t blow off when big gusts roll through.
- Inspect your roof. According to AccuWeather, “Your roof is your first and best line of defense against the elements, rain in particular.” Make sure it’s in tip-top shape by conducting inspections both on the ground and on the roof.
If you follow these tips, you’ll be about as well prepared for summer storms as possible. Sometimes, though, you simply can’t avoid flooding to your home.
When that happens, call a professional cleaning company like INTEK to take care of your water damage restoration or mold remediation needs. Our 24-hour emergency service means we’ll dispatch a crew whenever you need us — nights, weekends, and holidays included.
If you have any questions or would like to request a free inspection, please contact us.
Learn More About INTEK’s Water Damage Restoration Services »