Home/Carbon Monoxide in Sioux Falls: A Homeowner’s Guide

Carbon Monoxide in Sioux Falls: A Homeowner’s Guide

Published On: December 9, 2015Categories: Other Services

gas-meter-carbon-monoxide-in-sioux-falls
You are probably aware that carbon monoxide is a deadly gas and that you don’t want it in your home. It can reduce oxygen delivery to the body’s organs and at high levels can even cause death. But what do you need to know to prevent it from endangering you or your loved ones?

Keeping Carbon Monoxide Out of Sioux Falls and Yankton Homes

About 500 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. Because it is colorless and odorless, you’ll need to invest in an alarm that will alert you to its presence.

What Kind of Detector Should I Buy?

Carbon monoxide detectors range in price, from $15 on up. According to Consumer Reports, you should check the package to make sure carbon monoxide (CO) alarms meet UL Standard 2034. Look at the date, too, because the devices will lose sensitivity over time. A CO detector is a must if you are watching out for issues with carbon monoxide in Sioux Falls and Yankton.

CO-alarm-Kidde-carbon-monoxide-in-sioux-falls

As far as specific models, do your research. You can pick up a CO alarm at your local hardware store or from online vendors. This CO alarm, which meets UL standards, is the top-selling item in household sensors and alarms on Amazon. A Google search will turn up many reviews, and if you are really serious, you can subscribe to Consumer Reports.

How Many Detectors Do I Need?

Per Consumer Reports, you should have a CO alarm on each living level, including your basement, and near (but not inside) your attached garage.

What Causes Carbon Monoxide?

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), carbon monoxide is created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. “In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.”

What Should I Do if I Find It?

The EPA set air quality standards for CO in 1971. The 8-hour primary standard is 9 parts per million (ppm) and the 1-hour primary standard at 35 ppm. You don’t need to memorize this technical jargon — you’re alarm will alert you to its presence.

The NFPA says the “actuation of your carbon monoxide alarm indicates the presence of carbon monoxide (CO) which can kill you.”

nfpa-logo-carbon-monoxide-in-sioux-falls

If your alarm sounds, here is what you should do, per the NFPA.

  • Operate the silence/reset button
  • Call your emergency services (fire department or 911).
  • Immediately move to fresh air – outdoors or by an open door or window. Do a head count to check that all persons are accounted for. Do not reenter the premises nor move away from the open door/window until the emergency services responders have arrived, the premises have been aired out, and your alarm remains in its normal condition.
  • After following steps 1 – 3, if your alarm reactivates within a 24 hour period, repeat steps 1 – 3 and call a qualified appliance technician to investigate for sources of CO from fuel burning equipment and appliances, and inspect for proper operation of this equipment.
  • If problems are identified during this inspection have the equipment serviced immediately.
  • Note any combustion equipment not inspected by the technician and consult the manufacturers’ instructions, or contact the manufacturers directly, for more information about CO safety and this equipment.
  • Make sure that motor vehicles are not, and have not been, operating in an attached garage or adjacent to the residence.

What Are the Symptoms?

In the event that your CO alarm has failed without you realizing it, here are symptoms of CO Poisoning you should be aware of, per the NFPA.

  • shortness of breath
  • nausea
  • dizziness
  • light headedness or headaches

Call Intek for Inspections and Cleaning

You can call INTEK for general cleaning or specific inspections for issues with carbon monoxide in Sioux Falls and Yankton. We’ve been consistently voted the number one Local Best in the Sioux Falls area for carpet cleaning, water & fire damage restoration and duct cleaning since 2007. A regular furnace and ductwork cleaning will identify any issues with carbon monoxide.
See our duct cleaning and furnace services »