Like everything else during the pandemic, Christmas in Sioux Falls has just been weird, hasn’t it?
Before you know it, the holidays are almost over. It’s already time to start thinking of disposing the tree that you feel like you just put up.
Which begs the question: What do I even do with this thing?
We’re here to help you figure out how and where to dispose of your Christmas tree and holiday lights in Sioux Falls.
Christmas Tree Safety 101
First things first: Let’s make sure you’re caring for your Christmas tree safely.
Do you have a real Christmas tree? Your home probably smells fantastic, but it’s also at a greater risk for catching on fire. (Chances are slim, but you can never be too careful!) Learn how to properly care for your real Christmas tree here.
Fresh trees aren’t the only fire hazards in your home during the holiday season. You also need to beware of holiday lights, candles, and more. Check out our tips for staying fire-free during the holiday festivities.
How + Where to Dispose of Your Christmas Tree in Sioux Falls
Okay, so you’ve made it through the holidays without putting out any (actual) fires. Congrats!
Now, what are you supposed to do with your Christmas tree and other holiday decor?
The Sioux Falls Regional Sanitary Landfill is the established place to recycle your Christmas tree in Sioux Falls for free.
Each year, Christmas tree disposals are permitted beginning just after Christmas through mid-January during normal business hours..
The two drop-off sites that have been used in the past are:
- 1015 E. Chambers Street: West of Cliff Avenue, by the Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Access is available from North Drive to East Ash Street to Chambers Street, and from North Cliff Avenue to Chambers Street. The driveway just west of the hazardous waste facility will be the only access point.
- 100 North Lyon Boulevard: West of W.H. Lyon Fairgrounds. Access is available from West 12th Street to North Lyon Boulevard, and from West Madison Street to North Lyon Boulevard. The driveway just north of the railroad crossing will be the only access point.
This free disposal offer is good for real, individual trees only. Items that won’t be accepted include:
- All accessories (including lights, ornaments, decorations, and stands)
- Artificial trees
- Leaves, rubble, bags, or household garbage
- Large or commercial loads
For disposing of these items, you’ll have to visit the landfill itself, or recycle them in some other way.
Be sure to check with the landfill online or at 605-367-8162 for more details, updated information, and hours of operation.
Looking for More Cleaning Help this Season?
If just the thought of lugging your Christmas tree to a disposal site makes you tired, you’re probably overwhelmed.
Hey, we don’t blame you. It’s the holidays, after all. And, as you’ve probably heard, there’s a pandemic happening.
At INTEK, we’re here to help with all your post-holiday (and post-post-holiday) cleaning needs — whether that’s carpet cleaning, furnace and duct cleaning, fire damage restoration, or anything else.
Let us do the dirty work for you. We’ll let you take care of the tree, though. 😉