Winter is a common time for people to call for fire damage restoration in Sioux Falls, as it is a common season for house fires. But house fires are often preventable, and fires caused by fireplaces are a good example.
Keeping your Fireplace Safe
While some people enjoy outdoor activities such as skiing when the temperatures drop, others would rather stay inside and read a book. Those who have a wood-burning fireplace take advantage of it and stay nice and cozy while reading or watching TV indoors.
But what are the potential dangers of an indoor wood-burning fireplace, and how can you make sure yours is safe?
Creosote buildup and overloading are common causes of house fires that start in the fireplace.
Safety Tips for Your Fireplace
However, using a few safety tips, you can feel safe using your fireplace to stay warm all winter. Here are some tips from the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA):
- Get Your Chimney Checked: Have your chimney inspected at least once a year by a professional chimney service technician, which reduces the risk of fires and carbon monoxide poisoning caused by creosote buildup or obstructions.
- Pick the Right Kind of Fuel: Use well-seasoned wood that has been split for a minimum of six months. Store your wood in a covered and preferably elevated location. Don’t burn treated wood — or your Christmas tree — in your wood-burning fireplace.
- Use a Screen: Don’t let those ashes fly free and clear. Use a screen to protect your carpet and other flammable areas of your house.
- Don’t Leave the Fire Unattended: Put out the fire before leaving to run an errand or to go to bed. You never know what an unattended fire is capable of.
- Install Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Detectors: These handy devices will alert you to potential fireplace danger.
- Keep the Hearth Clear: Be sure the area in front of your fireplace is free and open — nothing within 36 inches.
- Build the Fire the Right Way: Don’t overload your fireplace or ignite the fire with flammable liquids.
Please take these tips into consideration this winter so you don’t have to call for fire damage restoration in Sioux Falls. INTEK is available anytime you might need help with a situation at your home, from residential and commercial cleaning to carpet cleaning, fire damage restoration and more.
Contact INTEK »